History of the Library
The Gibsons Library was founded by the Howe Sound Farmer’s Institute in 1914. It started as a wooden box of books that circulated among various homes and stores. In 1952, the library association was formally incorporated, and in 1955 the first library building opened on Wynne Road (thanks to fundraising efforts by the Gibsons Kiwanis Club). Our current building was funded by a public referendum and opened in 1996.
Who We Serve
The Gibsons and District Public Library (GDPL) serves the residents of the Town of Gibsons, and the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) Areas D (Roberts Creek), E (Elphinstone) and F (West Howe Sound)—a total population of approximately 13,000.
Any resident in these areas may join the library at no cost by simply requesting a Library card. Library cards are renewed every two years. The library in 2012 has close to 9,000 active members. In other words, well over half of all local residents have a current library card.
GDPL is funded through regional taxation by a by-law passed in 1994 after a public referendum. This by-law applies to residents in the Town of Gibsons and SCRD Areas E and F only. The revenue from Roberts Creek residents’ library tax is shared between the Sechelt and Gibsons libraries (46.5% each) and the Roberts Creek Reading Room (7%).
Most of the Gibsons library budget comes from regional taxation. We also receive small grants from the Library & Literacy Branch of the B.C. Ministry of Education, and have other minor income such as fines. The library’s largest two expenses are wages and acquisition of materials.
The Library building is owned by the taxpayers of Areas E, F and Gibsons and maintained by the SCRD, and sits on land that is leased from the Town of Gibsons. The library is independently governed by an elected board of trustees.