Library Card & Membership Policy
Join the Library
Your library membership enables you to borrow books, magazines, DVDs, music CDs, books on CD, and other items; and enables you to download, e-books, audiobooks & digital magazines.
You can also enjoy free access to online databases and resources. If we don’t have what you are looking for, we can often find it for you at another BC library and have it delivered here.
- To apply for a library card, just bring photo identification with your current address or apply online
Adults ages 19+: Driver’s license, Care Card, Passport or BC ID
Youth ages 13-18: Care Card, Student Card, or Passport
Children ages 0-13: Parent or Legal Guardian must provide identification
- Cards are free to residents of Gibsons, Elphinstone, West Howe Sound, and Roberts Creek.
- A maximum of 40 items may be borrowed at one time
- Adults who do not have a current address may receive a Limited Access card that will enable them access to the library’s computers, and digital collection and up to 5 physical items.
- It is the responsibility of parents and caregivers to monitor what library materials and resources children and young adults access, including library internet access. Library staff do not censor or monitor which books, DVDs, library materials or websites children select.
- Children ages 0 to 13 may get their own library cards with parental consent.
- Young Adults ages 14 -18 may get their own library card independent of their parents with appropriate ID
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately. Until your card is reported missing, you are responsible for items borrowed on it.
- Cards must be presented to borrow materials.
- There must be permission provided for anyone other than the cardholder to pick up books on their behalf, or the cardholder may give his/her card to someone to check out items
Using your Library card at Lower Mainland Libraries
GDPL is a partner in the InterLINK network of libraries. This means that with ID, you are able to use your valid GDPL card to borrow materials from any of the 18 member libraries and return these items to GDPL. Or you can return our items to another Interlink member library. Learn more about InterLINK. Your GDPL card also gives you access to the collections of all B.C. Libraries and Interlibrary Loan Access to other libraries in Canada.